I haven’t been blogging for awhile. Twelve days, to be precise.
And for good reason.🙂
Cos I’ve been hooked onto this most awesome game!
Trust Jared to be diverted from blogging by a computer game, eh?😛
So just what is this game about? Here’s the plot from the official website [link]:
You are Alex Mercer, a shape-shifter with absolute mastery over your genetic structure, stalking the streets of New York City, searching for your past. Delve into a web of lies and rip the truth from those who’ve hidden it from the public for forty years. Learn that you are not alone in your amazing abilities; that other killers stalk the city.
A secret war is brewing in New York. First, battle below the media radar, then, watch as a deadly infection spirals out of control and the government seizes the media to stop the spread of information. Finally, experience New York under quarantine as martial law is instated; igniting a firestorm of combat, carnage and death.
Face an ever-growing army of infected – creatures warped and changed by the virus. As it spreads, more and more of New York falls under its control. The virus overwrites a creature’s existing genetics; warping and changing their form into something else, something planned. As the virus gathers its army, rush to discover the secret behind it all; the one thing that can stop it all before the city falls into ruin.
Against you is Project BLACKWATCH – an elite force of Army specialists ready to stop the spread of the virus at any cost. These operatives have seen it all before, and are eager to track you down and bring you in, dead or alive. Their mandate is complete containment; even if it means everyone in New York must die.
Struggle to define what you will be. Do you assist BLACKWATCH in its hunt, or join forces with the virus to subjugate humanity? Push your powers to the limit and unlock the genetic shackles that hold you in check.
The game is just as cool as it sounds. But why should you get this game in the first place? According to publisher Activision and developer Radical Entertainment, here are the top ten reasons to play Prototype:
1. Deadly Shapeshifting Powers: With a mere thought Alex can transform his arms into lethal weaponry. Going all out against large groups of enemies? The razor-sharp Claws and long-reaching Whipfist will serve you well. Tanks and helicopters got you down? Try the massive Hammerfists, or chuck vehicles at them with the Musclemass power. Boss enemies kicking your butt? The Blade power will chop them up quick and fast. Taking too much heat? Save your skin with the Shield and Armor powers. No matter your enemy, you’ll always be ready for any situation.
2. Open-World Adaptive Parkour: See New York City in a whole new way. Dash down its wide avenues and boulevards, glide from skyscraper to skyscraper, and scale the side of the Empire State Building using nothing more than your feet.
3. Consume and Become.. Anyone: Consume your foes for their memories and knowledge. Absorb and become military base commanders to gain access to powerful artillery strikes. Blend into crowds as an ordinary civilian to escape the watchful eyes of the military.
4. Stealth Kills + “The Patsy”: Take advantage of the rapidly escalating situation. Sneak up behind unaware opponents and consume them instantly, assuming their identity. Then wreak trouble and put the blame on someone else!
5. Jacking Military Vehicles: Tanks and helicopters can be your best friends too. Climb aboard and hijack the latest state-of-the-art war machines, then use missiles and machinegun fire to put an end to your enemies.
6. Brutal Devastator Attacks: Cause a massive wave of bladed spikes to pierce through the ground, punching through flesh, bone and steel armor plating with ruthless brutality. Or wipe out entire battalions with an explosion of life-draining tentacles that instantly clear a wide swathe around you.
7. Combo Attacks: Fire a missile at an enemy tank from high above, then descend with the full force of gravity upon it and smash what remains to smithereens. Give a helicopter a flying kick, then grab a car as soon as you hit the ground and toss it at the chopper. The possibilities are endless.
8. Pwn Everyone and Everything: You are the ultimate fighting machine. There is nothing and noone who can stand in your way. It’s not a matter of if you win, but when.
9. Projectile Dysfunction: Toss soldiers, cars, trash cans, mailboxes, wreckage, rooftop airconditioning units and satellite dishes across large distances. You don’t have to use just guns and powers to bring the pain to your enemies.
10. “Run-and-Gun” Firepower: Grenade launchers, assault rifles, guided missile launchers, machineguns. Combine the awesome power of these weaponry with your ability to run and jump impossible distances and you have a recipe for murder and mayhem.
The game isn’t perfect, but Alex’s journey of vengeance is a fun roller-coaster ride from start to finish. A word of note though: you will require a PC of considerable capability to run this game at full clip.
Have fun, fellow geeks!