This house will give harsher punishments to celebrities.
This was the topic of a practice debate session (a.k.a. for fun 😛 ) I took part in just moments ago.
What do you think?
Give yourself a good 5-10 minutes away from this page to think about it.
When you’re done thinking, click the link below to see what us debaters thought.
Yes, celebrities deserve harsher punishments because:
- They are capable of tremendous social impact: a celebrity’s actions may be emulated by aspiring fans and idolizers.
- They are role models for the general society: children and teenagers look up to celebrities as examples.
- It serves as a deterrent effect: since even celebrities are liable to be punished, the general populace will be less likely to commit crimes.
- They are the subjects of intense media coverage: media coverage of harsher punishments convey a stronger message that crime will not be tolerated.
No, celebrities should be punished the same as everyone else because:
- Harsher punishments serve no purpose: current punishments do the job well enough.
- No additional effect on society: current punishments already send message that crime will not be tolerated.
- Equality and human rights: no reason to punish celebrities on the pretext that they are “role models” for society alone.
- Negative media coverage is punishment enough: celebrities’ reputation is severely affected by media coverage of court proceedings.
So, how did your reasons match up?
Leave a comment below and let’s discuss the issue further. 🙂